Ideas of visits in South Burgundy
Good addresses and many information sources in page Links
For children : all local activities on Aventure Mômes
Main events/festivals in South Burgundy.
A goldmine of information on the website "Mon coin de Bourgogne"
- Around the gites
- Less than 10 km
- Less than 30km
- A 1h en voiture environ
- Many walks : GR7 path and strolls in the surrounding hills without taking the car. The hills are classified with label Natura 2000 for protection of wild limestone lawns with endemic plants and animals. The ruins of the castle of Montaigu, the roman chapels, and several views to our valley (called "Vallée des Vaux") and the botanic path, also really worth to spend time around the gites. See our page "Strolls and walks around". Small rural heritage (wash house, ordeal crosses, winemaker's shelters).
Here's some ideas of easy walks:
- circular St Martin-St Jean-St Martin : 3.5km / 1h, very easy, 95% local roads,
- circular Castle of Montaigu-villages of Touches&Chamirey : 6km / 1h30 at 2h, very easy, 80% local roads, 20% paths,
- circular valley view points and botanic garden : 5km / 1h30 at 2h, easy but with good shoes, 80% paths.
- Bicycle rides (we lend 2 adult bikes and a baby chair) on our little roads of the Vallée des Vaux (we advise 2 circular rides of 10km, sometimes steep), or practice Mountain Bikes (we advise 2 rides of 15-25 km); we provide all the maps,
- Visits of the cellars of the wine growers of the village ..., (on the Wine Trail of Burgundy),
- Tennis grounds in Mellecey or Mercurey at 1 km (cheap),
- In summer, swimming-pool with natural water at 1km in Saint-Jean-de-Vaux,
- Game of bowls (pétanque) down the village,
- For children, strolls with Donkeys are possible,
- For little kids, it's nice to go playing at the small river down the village (600m).
- The Voie Verte : 80 km (Chalon<=>Mâcon) of a former railway reconverted in a cycle track (at 6km from the gites in Givry),
- Roman chapels circuit and traditional villages around the Vallée des Vaux (Mercurey, Cortiambles, Jambles, Chatel-Moron ...),
- Short walk to Mont Avril : 360° panoramic view to Saône river and Vallée des Vaux and natural reserve (see interactive map),
- The charming and peacefull village of Russily (viewpoint to Givry and Saône valley, delicious goat cheese),
- Castle of Germolles : the only country estate of the Dukes of Burgundy, XIVth century (3km) - possibility to go by bike,
- Climbing site at 2km in St Denis de Vaux,
- Acroparc : adventure in the trees for all ages, near Givry (7km),
- Castle and church of Chamilly (in direction to Santenay),
- Big children area between Dracy et Givry,
- And of course the Wine Trail of Burgundy (Mercurey, Givry, Rully ...).
- Beaune (at 30km) : the Hospices, the Collégiale church, caves visits ... the Wine Road (Meursault, Pommard, Volnay...),
- Chalon sur Saône :
- historical pedetrian center around the St Vincent cathedral (market on friday and sunday morning),
- the Chemin de l'Orbandale, pedestrian path along city center for discovering 30 places of interest,
- free museums : Niepce museum of international reputation (photos exhibitions permanent and temporary), Denon museum
- strolls at St Nicolas rose garden, and on the shores of the river Saône (left shore from les Chavannes),
- fo children : Georges Nouelle park (animals, out-door games), botanic garden,
- Ludic aquatic center (toboggans, wave swimming-pool).
- The "out-of-time" little town of Nolay the stroll of the « end of the world » path,
- The little town of Buxy with its cool atmosphere and middle-age sector around the church,
- The castles of Couches and La Rochepot,
- In end of spring-summer, cruises on the river Saône and on the canal du Centre in Ecuisses,
- For children : leisure park "Parc touristique des Combes" in Creusot,
- The Mont Rome with panoramic view to the wild Morvan region,
- The climbing cliffs of Remigny (near Chagny),
- Golf in Chalon (18) open to non-members.
- Dijon and on the way, the abbay of Citeaux, the Wine Route of Grand Crus, the Clos Vougeot, Cassissium exhibition about blackcurrant in Nuits-Saint-Georges ...
- Autun : gothic center and many places of interest from various ages (gallo-romans, middle age). Not far is the castle of Sully.
- Caves of d'Azé : prehistoric and geologic interest,
- Castles of Cormatin, La Clayette, Berzé-le-Chatel, Pierreclos …
- Medieval site and panoramic views in Brancion,
- Towns and Roman sites of Cluny and Tournus (and famous church of Chapaize),
- Cuisery (near Tournus): Village of the book (one of the 22 villages of the book in Europe !), also Centre Eden (exhibitions and demonstrations about nature discovery). And in the same area, La Réserve Nationale de la Truchère (interactive map).
- Community of Taizé,
- Castle of Pierre de Bresse which houses the museum of local traditions and environment of Burgundy,
- Lake of Laives and nautic activities near Tournus,
- Basilica and religious monuments in Paray-le-Monial, on the way the Musée de la Ligne de Démarcation in Génelard,
- Monastery of Brou in Bourg-en-Bresse (at 1h15),
- Sites of Solutré (museum of Prehistory) and Bibracte-Mont Beuvray (museum of Celtic civilization) at 1h15.