Location: 35km north of the cottages.
Nearby: the castle of La Rochepot, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Nolay village, Citeaux abbey
Why we recommend Beaune:
- l'Hotel-Dieu (Hospices), now turned into a hospital museum to show the public the methods of care in the Middle Ages. It was founded in the XVth century by Nicolas Rollin to accommodate the poor and plague victims. It has become a symbol of Burgundy thanks to its beautiful courtyard and its glazed tiles originating from Central Europe. Many rooms display a wide variety of objects and works of art, making the visit very accessible to children, including the final room where you will see the polyptych of the "Last Judgment".
Free audio guides are available for adults and children.
Go there preferably in the morning to see the roof in the best light.
- visits of prestigious caves with wine tasting at affordable prices. We reommend Caves Patriarche by the interest of the visit and the "generous" and cool wine-tasting,
- Small streets in the centre hiding a few surprises for example, belfries, churches, mansions, old doors, carvings on the houses and parts of the ramparts that are well preserved and improved with parks and gardens.
- the Musée du Vin, housed in the former palace of the Dukes of Burgundy (XIVth-XVIIIth). It traces the history of the vineyard from antiquity to the present day displaying techniques and tools of the winery and wine making process, including wine presses and tasting cups, and explaining the rites and customs related to wine.
- The Collegial church of Notre Dame, founded in 1120 with a structure similar to the cathedral of Autun. It is known for the five tapestries in wool and silk on display which date from 1500 and which were collectively classified as a 'historic monument' in 1891. These depict scenes from the life of the Virgin.
- The Parc de la Bouzaize, near historical center, nice gardens with a little lake, small boats can be rent, some animals and playgrounds for kids,
- A curiosity, 7km from Beaune, is the castle of Savigny les Beaune which displays, in a vast treed park, an impressive collection of vintage cars, motorcycles, tractors, fire engines and about 80 real military and civilian aircraft.
- National festivals : International Thriller Film Festival in late March, International Festival of Baroque Opera in July.